Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Rick Hansen Relay

Although it was awhile ago, I had the opportunity to participate with the relay as an endurance athlete.  The endurance athlete got to start each day with the medal and pass it to the fist medal bearer of the day.  Each day that was someone related to a school.  I got to participate for a week from Oliver to Hope.  I had originally wanted to do more riding and less "carry" mode.  However, I realize now that was more about me than the relay.

I got to meet some incredible people that Rick referred top as difference makers.  A lot of these difference makers were school kids or teachers.  When I see the quality of the kids, their supporters, and the communities we visited it helps restore my faith in the human condition.

Many of the people involved with the relay had significant challenges to overcome and yet almost to a person the joy of them being selected was the forefront of all of my contacts.

The recent Olympics reminded me why I am so proud to be a Canadian.  Yes the medals were a great accomplishment but it was the way in which our Canadian athletes handled diversity I was so impressed with.  You have to really feel for our 4x100 athlete the stepped on the line.  It was a real shame that it happened but I was most impressed with the way he handled it.  Bravo.

Finally, the greatest Olympian ever?  Yes Phelps has the hardware but Ian Miller has competed in 10 straight Olympics.  How can that not be greatest.  And then there is Clara Hughes, only Olympian ever to have multiple medals in different Olympics.  That's not just great its incredible.  She takes 12 years off from professional cycling, comes back to it and finishes fifth in the world almost making it three different Olympics.  Greatest Olympian - you bet. However, it was about how they both handled not winning that makes then great.  I guess that's a true Canadian viewpoint.  Hopefully the Para-Olympics get the same kind of exposure.

Remember, its not about what happens to you in life - its what you do about it that's important.

No comments:

Post a Comment