Friday, February 25, 2011

Third time lucky

Seeking employment has been an interesting challenge as a stroke survivor. It has given me an interesting glimpse into the world that many disabled people face on a daily basis. As much as we profess to be an accepting society that does not discriminate, the amount that this affects people's perceptions is clearly evident when it comes to something such as competition for a job. It may not even be a conscious act, however, selecting a candidate is all about picking the best person for the job which can be inherently discriminatory. Add to that the loss of self-confidence from a stroke and the mixture is a potent one for many people who are attempting to create normalcy in their lives after a significant injury or loss.

I am very fortunate to have been surrounded by very positive people. That has clearly been a great influence on the approach to my rehabilitation and to my life journey. I thank my parents for instilling in me a positive approach that focuses on effort rather than achievement.

My job search has brought me to be one of two finalists on three occasions and it appears that this time I have won out. I don't have a formal offer letter in hand yet but that is on its way. So I will shortly be returning to full time work which is kind of the final piece in putting my life back together. It is just over 4 years since my stroke and I have experienced many things that others will not get the opportunity to face. I have grieved a lot and yet I've also celebrated a lot.

This journey has not been of my choosing but what I get out of it is up to me. Nobody gets to choose all the things that happen in their lives, however, they do get to decide how they feel about those events and what they are going to do about them. Keep smiling. Life is ahead of you not behind you.

No comments:

Post a Comment